Sydney Family Holiday Guide
One of the things Sydney does best is solve family holiday dilemmas. From dusk til dawn, there’s a treasure trove of “aww”, “cool”, “sick” and “giggle” inducing sights, entertainment and wallet friendly fodder to ensure an unforgettable time for all the right reasons.
Day 1: We be a swashbuckling harbour city me-hearties, so grab the crew and hoist the anchor, we’re off to sea:
- At the Australian National Maritime Museum you can jump aboard ships, peer through a periscope, and see fun exhibitions or cool scary stuff like mythical creatures of the deep.
- Grab a fish and chips lunch at Darling Harbour then cool off in the water fountains - designed for kids to splash around in while hapless parents can only watch on or join in.
- Walk to Sydney Aquarium to gawk at sharks, rays, octopus and the dungongs, Pig and Wuru – undeniably cute creatures, but the fact they’re ancestors were ever mistaken for mermaids just proves how strong the Rum was back in settlement days.
- Dinner at the very family friendly Pancakes on the Rocks, with its irresistible menu selections such as Crazy Potato, Alice In Wonderland and the Caterpillar.
Day 2: Go west young family! In less than two hours you’ll be on top of the great wall of Sydney, the stunning Blue Mountains.
- Take a full day tour to the Blue Mountains, explore the Jenolan Caves and take an almost vertical cliff side ride down into the rainforest on the scenic railway.
- Or hire a car for the trip and stop off at Penrith Panthers on the way back for a round of mini golf or some wild arcade game action in the Kaos family centre.
- Then tuck into some cowboy fare at the nearby Silver Spur Steak Ranch with face painting, PlayStation, balloons and a brilliant kids menu.
Day 3: Last chance to smear the town red with those grubby little mitts. We better make it good:
- If your kids are of creative persuasion, the hands-on art workshops and enchanting storytelling at the Art Gallery of NSW will have them in rapture.
- The Disco and Magic Cruise is a bit like Siegfried and Roy for kids - without the ticked off kitty cat. The best part is that you can relax while the magician, music games, prizes and lunch keeps the kids spellbound for hours.
- Step under Sydney’s worst ambassador for cosmetic dentistry, the Luna Park face. Free to get in, open most days and they offer a range of ride passes from Go Silly for the littlies to Go Wild for your thrill seekers.
- After all that tossed and turned fairy floss, eating may not be high on the agenda tonight. But if is, take the troops down to Harry Cafe de Wheels, grab a pie, dangle your legs off the wharf and have a yarn to half of Sydney’s never-around-when-you-need-one taxi drivers.
Recommended Sydney Family Hotels:
- Novotel Darling Harbour is a short break mecca for Sydney family fun – swimming pool, tennis court and an honest “not far now darling” walk from the Imax Theatre, Powerhouse Museum, Wildlife World an Aquarium..
- Kids are treated like rock stars on the verge of a tantrum at the Four Seasons Hotel Sydney - child size bathrobes, bedtime milk and cookies. Plus they’ll even arrange babysitting so you can hit the town and leave the divas behind.
See the list below for more Sydney Family Hotels.
Situated on the city centre's edge, Nesuto Woolloomooloo offers spacious studio apartments in a beautiful heritage listed 4 storey building, located amongst traditional Sydney terrace houses in histor...more
Situated in Sydney CBD, overlooking Hyde Park, Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park (formerly Sheraton On The Park) offers a restaurant, a bar and a 24-hour rooftop fitness centre. Guests enjoy an indoor p...more
Located in Sydney CBD (Central Business District), 5 minutes’ walk from Central Station and Hyde Park, Oaks on Castlereagh offers stylish studios and apartments, a well-equipped fitness centre, and a...more
In the heart of Wahroonga, Ascot Motor Inn is close to Wahroonga Park and Glade Reserve. This motel is within close proximity of Hornsby Park and Brickpit Park.Rooms Make yourself at home in one of th...more
Boasting a bar, Cambridge Hotel Sydney is situated in Sydney in the New South Wales region, 1.6 km from Art Gallery of New South Wales and 2.1 km from Hyde Park Barracks Museum. Among the facilities o...more
Novotel Sydney Central is in the heart of Haymarket, walking distance from Railway Square and University of Technology Sydney. This 4.5-star hotel is close to University of Sydney and Sydney Opera Hou...more
Located in Coogee (Randwick - Coogee), Crowne Plaza Coogee Beach is minutes from Coogee Beach and Wiley's Baths. This 4.5-star hotel is within close proximity of Wedding Cake Island and Gordon's Bay.R...more
With a stay at Harbour Rocks Hotel Sydney - MGallery Collection, you'll be centrally located in The Rocks, steps from Susannah Place Museum and Museum of Contemporary Art. This 4.5-star hotel is close...more
Located in Killara, Killara Inn is minutes from Killara Golf Club and close to Marian Street Theatre. This hotel is within close proximity of Killara City Park and Lane Cove National Park.Rooms Make y...more
Located in Sydney’s stylish Potts Point area, The Macleay offers accommodation with Sydney Harbour, Opera House or city views. It features massage services and barbecue facilities. Macleay Hotel is lo...more
Mantra Chatswood provides large, fully self-contained 1 and 2-bedroom apartments with laundry facilities. This hotel is located in the centre of Chatswood's business and shopping district Guests have...more
Marriott Sydney Harbour is in the heart of Sydney, walking distance from Museum of Contemporary Art and Customs House. This 5-star hotel is close to Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.Rooms...more
With a stay at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Central, you'll be centrally located in Haymarket, steps from Railway Square and minutes from University of Technology Sydney. This 4.5-star apartment is c...more
Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Central is located in Sydney CBD (Central Business District), close to public transport and just 5 minutes’ walk from Central Station. Guests have access to a restaurant and...more
Located 3 minutes’ walk from Harbourside Shopping Centre in Sydney CBD (Central Business District), Novotel Sydney Darling Harbour offers spacious rooms, some with stunning views of the city skyline....more
Located opposite Manly Beach, one of Australia’s most beautiful and popular beaches, Novotel Sydney Manly Pacific is just 15 minutes' ferry ride from Circular Quay and the Sydney city centre. Guests e...more
In the heart of Sydney Harbour National Park - Manly, this unique hotel offers a peaceful and romantic retreat or a fully equipped base for business with stunning views across Sydney Harbour. Sydney's...more
Perfectly located in the heart of Sydney CBD (Central Business District), Rydges World Square offers luxury accommodation with a flat-screen TV. Guests enjoy a fitness centre, a cocktail bar and a res...more
Overlooking the famous Hyde Park, Oaks Plaza offers self-contained accommodation with TVs and DVD players. The hotel features a sauna and rooftop deck with stunning views across Hyde Park. Guests rece...more
With a stay at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Crown Street in Surry Hills (Darlinghurst - Surry Hills), you'll be minutes from Taylor Square and Brett Whitley Studio. This 4.5-star apartment is close t...more
Located in the heart of Sydney CBD (Central Business District), The York by Swiss-Belhotel offers air-conditioned apartments with a private balcony and free WiFi. Guests have access to a fitness centr...more
Located close to Sydney Harbour and Circular Quay, Mantra 2 Bond Street is just a 1-minute walk from the heart of the Sydney CBD (Central Business District). The Rocks, with its mix of restaurants, pu...more
Featuring an indoor heated swimming pool, a fitness centre and sauna facilities, Adina Apartment Hotel is located in Sydney CBD (Central Business District). It offers air-conditioned apartments and st...more
Refurbished in 2019 and situated just 200 metres from Coogee Beach, Adina Apartment Hotel Coogee features an indoor heated pool and fitness centre. Free WiFi is available throughout the hotel and cove...more
Located in the heart of Sydney, BreakFree on George offers refurbished, modern, self-contained accommodation with air conditioning and satellite TV. Sydney’s famous Darling Harbour and the Internation...more
Just a 2-minute walk from Darling Harbour and Town Hall Station, Seasons Harbour Plaza offers spacious modern apartments in Sydney CBD (Central Business District). Guests can enjoy a swimming pool, sp...more
Nesuto Parramatta offers modern self-contained apartments with free cable TV and 1GB of free WiFi daily. Guests have access to a fitness centre, outdoor heated pool, restaurant and bar. Located opposi...more
APX World Square offers spacious apartments with a private balcony and full kitchen in the heart of Sydney CBD (Central Business District). APX World Square is a 5-minute walk from the shopping and en...more
When you stay at Medina Serviced Apartments North Ryde in Marsfield, you'll be in the business district and convenient to Macquarie University and Macquarie Shopping Centre. This 4-star apartment is w...more
Nesuto Chippendale offers fully self-contained serviced apartments, located on the fringe of the city of Central Sydney, just 2 km from Sydney’s CBD. It is within a 10-minute walk from the University...more
Featuring an outdoor swimming pool, a restaurant and a barbecue area, Metro Inn Ryde is 30 minutes’ drive from Sydney’s city centre. Free parking is available on site. Set in the north-western suburbs...more
Offering free WiFi and a fitness centre with a sauna. Fraser Suites Sydney features luxury apartments with modern furnishings, kitchen facilities and views of the city skyline. Located in Sydney CBD (...more
Just 5 minutes' drive from Sydney International Airport, and 10 minutes' drive from the Domestic Terminal, Quality Hotel CKS offers modern rooms with free WiFi. Guests also enjoy an on-site restaurant...more
Radisson Hotel and Suites is situated in the heart of Sydney CBD (Central Business District), just a 5-minute walk from Darling Harbour and Town Hall train station. Facilities include an indoor swimming...more
Featuring an outdoor pool, a hot tub and a fitness centre, Holiday Inn Parramatta is 15 minutes' drive from Wet'n'Wild Sydney. It offers refurbished guest rooms with a large work desk and a high-defin...more
Offering luxurious accommodation, The Star Grand Hotel and Residences Sydney (formerly Astral Tower and Residences) is situated in The Star Entertainment Complex. It is located in Darling Harbour. The...more
Located in the seaside suburb of Manly, Quest Manly is situated opposite Manly Ferry Wharf, providing easy access point to Sydney city centre via ferry or fast ferry ride. The property offers an array...more
Quay West Suites Sydney offers 5-star apartments located in the historic Rocks precinct of Sydney. The hotel is a just a 5-minute walk from Circular Quay where you can see the Sydney Harbour Bridge an...more
Australian Sunrise Lodge is located in Newtown, within 10 minutes' drive from both Sydney CBD and Sydney Airport. It offers free high-speed WiFi in public areas and the rooms. Australian Sunrise Lodge...more
Featuring a rooftop terrace with lovely harbour and city views, Sydney Wattle Hotel is just 5 minutes’ walk from Hyde Park. It offers air-conditioned rooms with a flat-screen TV and DVD player. Some r...more
Only 50 metres from beautiful Collaroy Beach, Sydney Beachouse YHA is set in the heart of Sydney's Northern beaches. It features a rooftop terrace with a swimming pool, an onsite cafe, 24/7 secure acc...more
Marco Polo offers budget-friendly accommodation with free unlimited, high-speed WiFi access, just 20 minutes’ drive from Sydney Airport. All rooms come with an en suite bathroom and cable TV. Each roo...more
Overlooking Darling Harbour, Oaks Goldsbrough Darling Harbour offers stylish accommodation with cooking and laundry facilities. Situated in a historic 19th century building, many apartments offer stun...more
Metro Apartments are located in Sydney CBD (Central Business District), just a 2-minute walk from Darling Harbour and Sydney Aquarium. All units feature a balcony and full-length windows, many with pa...more
Just 3 minutes’ walk from the Powerhouse Museum, Metro Aspire Hotel Sydney offers refurbished rooms with private balconies. It features a restaurant and bar, function rooms and a tour desk. Guests rec...more
Adina Apartment Hotel Chippendale offers modern serviced apartments set around a leafy courtyard with an outdoor plunge pool. All apartments include a kitchen or kitchenette. The property is 6 minutes...more
Set directly opposite Manly Beach, The Sebel is a stylish, boutique hotel offering 2 swimming pools and a spa pool. All accommodation features a private balcony with outdoor furniture. Some offer fabu...more
Offering free high-speed WiFi and free parking, the 3.5 star hotel Garden Lodge Sydney offers rooms with a balcony and a 40-inch LED TV. Just 7 km from Sydney's city centre. It is a 15-minute train ri...more
Overlooking Sydney's historic Rocks area, Four Seasons Hotel Sydney offers free WiFi, a bar, restaurant, fitness centre and swimming pool. Situated in Sydney CBD (Central Business District), it featur...more
This 4-star boutique hotel is located in Randwick, close to Sydney's CBD (Central Business District) and Coogee Beach. It offers peaceful surroundings and a relaxed setting with a front desk open unti...more
Located in the heart of Kings Cross, ibis budget Sydney East offers budget accommodation just 10 minutes’ walk from Hyde Park, Oxford Street and the Australian Museum. The famous Bondi Beach is a 15-m...more
Ibis budget Sydney Airport is located just 10 minutes’ walk from the domestic terminal and railway station, and a 10-minute drive from the international terminal. All air-conditioned rooms have a priv...more
Surrounded by peaceful natural bushland, only 25 km from Sydney city centre, this resort features a large swimming pool, sauna and spa pool. The restaurant and bar serves international cuisine. Set on...more
Just 150 metres from Manly Beach, this guest house offers free WiFi and a lounge area with comfortable sofas and cable TV. All rooms have a wardrobe and towels and bed linen are provided. Sandy Bottom...more
!Please enter check-in date
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
Price Guardian. Only at Hotel.com.au - Don't Book without it
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 2M+ hotels, resorts, apartments, holiday homes + more
- Compare, book & save $
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ Don't book without it.
- 100% Australian owned
Daily deals for inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz