Sydney Family Holiday Guide
One of the things Sydney does best is solve family holiday dilemmas. From dusk til dawn, there’s a treasure trove of “aww”, “cool”, “sick” and “giggle” inducing sights, entertainment and wallet friendly fodder to ensure an unforgettable time for all the right reasons.
Day 1: We be a swashbuckling harbour city me-hearties, so grab the crew and hoist the anchor, we’re off to sea:
- At the Australian National Maritime Museum you can jump aboard ships, peer through a periscope, and see fun exhibitions or cool scary stuff like mythical creatures of the deep.
- Grab a fish and chips lunch at Darling Harbour then cool off in the water fountains - designed for kids to splash around in while hapless parents can only watch on or join in.
- Walk to Sydney Aquarium to gawk at sharks, rays, octopus and the dungongs, Pig and Wuru – undeniably cute creatures, but the fact they’re ancestors were ever mistaken for mermaids just proves how strong the Rum was back in settlement days.
- Dinner at the very family friendly Pancakes on the Rocks, with its irresistible menu selections such as Crazy Potato, Alice In Wonderland and the Caterpillar.
Day 2: Go west young family! In less than two hours you’ll be on top of the great wall of Sydney, the stunning Blue Mountains.
- Take a full day tour to the Blue Mountains, explore the Jenolan Caves and take an almost vertical cliff side ride down into the rainforest on the scenic railway.
- Or hire a car for the trip and stop off at Penrith Panthers on the way back for a round of mini golf or some wild arcade game action in the Kaos family centre.
- Then tuck into some cowboy fare at the nearby Silver Spur Steak Ranch with face painting, PlayStation, balloons and a brilliant kids menu.
Day 3: Last chance to smear the town red with those grubby little mitts. We better make it good:
- If your kids are of creative persuasion, the hands-on art workshops and enchanting storytelling at the Art Gallery of NSW will have them in rapture.
- The Disco and Magic Cruise is a bit like Siegfried and Roy for kids - without the ticked off kitty cat. The best part is that you can relax while the magician, music games, prizes and lunch keeps the kids spellbound for hours.
- Step under Sydney’s worst ambassador for cosmetic dentistry, the Luna Park face. Free to get in, open most days and they offer a range of ride passes from Go Silly for the littlies to Go Wild for your thrill seekers.
- After all that tossed and turned fairy floss, eating may not be high on the agenda tonight. But if is, take the troops down to Harry Cafe de Wheels, grab a pie, dangle your legs off the wharf and have a yarn to half of Sydney’s never-around-when-you-need-one taxi drivers.
Recommended Sydney Family Hotels:
- Novotel Darling Harbour is a short break mecca for Sydney family fun – swimming pool, tennis court and an honest “not far now darling” walk from the Imax Theatre, Powerhouse Museum, Wildlife World an Aquarium..
- Kids are treated like rock stars on the verge of a tantrum at the Four Seasons Hotel Sydney - child size bathrobes, bedtime milk and cookies. Plus they’ll even arrange babysitting so you can hit the town and leave the divas behind.
See the list below for more Sydney Family Hotels.
!Please enter check-in date
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
Don't book without it.
Our service doesn't stop once you have booked. Hotel prices fluctuate, so after you book we keep checking prices every day. If Price Guardian sees what you've booked at a better price we will let you know how to re-book, get the better price and save money! We save customers money every day on their hotel bookings.
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 1M+ hotels, resorts, apartments + more
- One site to compare, book & save
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ Don't book without it.
- 100% Australian owned
Daily inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz