Melbourne Family Holiday Guide
It’s ridiculous how many great things there are for families to do in Melbourne - adventures, games, sights, tours and most importantly, food stops that get the mini thumbs up of approval. In fact, you can keep your kids so entertained from dusk til dawn they won’t have the breath left to enquire “Are we there yet?”
Day 1: A day of wide-eyed adventure options not even those disturbing little Pokémons can compete with:
- 1850s retro is all the rage on a visit to Sovereign Hill’s goldmining settlement. See goldsmiths and craftsmen at work and then send the kids out with a gold pan to strike it lucky.
- Give your budding mermaids and pirates a taste of sea life at the Melbourne Aquarium on the banks of the Yarra - over four levels of sharks, penguins, turtles, monstrous crabs and other sea nymphs.
- Let the kids off the leash amongst the Melbourne Museum’s 18 permanent exhibitions including Bugs Alive and The Human Body with its interactive displays and antique post-mortem tools.
- Dine on tasty thin crust pizzas at the Italian Woodstock restaurant, so authentic they’ve even parked some Ferrari memorabilia, an old Fiat and a few Vespas inside.
Day 2: Did you hear the one about Warnie, Kylie, Flipper and Thomas?
- The Shane and Charlene show aka the MCG and Neighbours Tour, offers behind the scenes action for the whole family – including locker rooms and Melbourne’s two most famous circles – the MCG pitch and Ramsey street cul-de-sac.
- Get up close and personal with the outrageously cute Dolphins and Australian Fur Seals on a cruise on Port Phillip Bay.
- Have a tootin’ good time aboard the Puffing Billy steam train on your way to see kangaroos, koalas, wombats in the Yarra Valley including spit roast lunch and wine tasting.
- Devour savoury thin pancakes filled with cheese and ham, mushrooms and more at Breizoz Crêpes in Fitzroy —just remember to save room for the chocolate and ice cream crepes!
Day 3: “Wadda you wanna do?” “I dunno, wadda you wanna do?” May we suggest...
- Whether your kids are fussy eaters or food disposal units they’ll love the breakfast options at Retro, a 50s themed café in Fitzroy. Everything from coco pops to poached eggs with smoked salmon and hollandaise and later in the day, free ice cream.
- Bubble, bubble without toil and tantrums at Scienceworks in Spotswood, laden with hands-on exhibits, tours, live demonstrations and a Pirate Ship playground.
- Paddle boat across Albert Park Lake or take a drive around the Formula One circuit and celebrate with a snag or two at one of the BBQ areas.
- Don the safari suits and head to Melbourne Zoo to stroll through rainforests and see over 300 species of animals including seals, gorillas, elephants and tigers.
Recommended Melbourne Family Hotels:
- Within easy reach of Luna Park and St Kilda Beach is the Easystay @Acland St and their excellent family studio apartments.
- You’ll have trouble dragging the kids away from the Crown Towers Hotel Melbourne and it’s 14 cinemas and tenpin bowling alley.
See the list below for more great Melbourne Family Hotels.
Batman’s Hill on Collins is located in Melbourne CBD, opposite Southern Cross train station. It offers 2 stylish restaurants and 2 bars, plus 24-hour room service.Many of Melbourne’s top attractions,...more
Situated just 200 metres from Federation Square, Adina Apartment Hotel Flinders Street offers stylish apartments in the heart of Melbourne CBD. Many have a private balcony with stunning city views. Gu...more
Clarion Suites Gateway offers spacious, self-catering and fully serviced studios and 1 and 2-bedroom suites and has the best of Melbourne on its doorstep. Free WiFi is available.Clarion Suites Gateway...more
Located in the heart of Melbourne CBD, Mantra offers self-contained accommodation with a private balcony and views of the city skyline or Carlton Gardens. It features a swimming pool and sauna.Mantra...more
Mantra on Little Bourke offers suites and apartments conveniently located in Melbourne’s CBD (central business district). Each has a spacious living area with an LCD TV and a kitchenette with a microw...more
Seasons Botanic Gardens combines the space and independence of self-contained apartments with the amenities of a luxury hotel. It is located on St Kilda Road, Melbourne and overlooks Melbourne's Royal...more
Located in the heart of Melbourne, Mantra City Central offers modern apartments with stylish décor. The property is next door to the iconic shopping destination, The Emporium Melbourne.Mantra City Cen...more
Offering free Wi-Fi and a sunny rooftop terrace, City Centre Budget Hotel is just 2 minutes’ walk from Parliament Train Station. There is a TV, refrigerator and electric kettle in every room.Located i...more
The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands is located in Melbourne’s vibrant waterfront district of NewQuay. Situated across 9 different buildings along the NewQuay Promenade, these self-catering apartm...more
Just 300 metres from Melbourne Central Station and Bourke Street Mall, Somerset on Elizabeth Melbourne offers accommodation with free Wi-Fi. Guests enjoy a fitness centre, hot tub, sauna and an outdoo...more
Oaks Melbourne on Market Hotel is situated in the heart of Melbourne city, conveniently located within walking distance Melbourne's attractions. The one and two-bedroom apartments offer free WiFi and...more
Located at 33 Spencer Street Melboourne,Grand Hotel Melbourne is a historic Melbourne icon offering fully self-contained apartments with a modern kitchen. Guest facilities include an indoor heated poo...more
ULTIQA Little Collins offers spacious modern apartments in Melbourne CBD, some with views over the city. Each includes separate lounge and dining areas, full kitchen and laundry facilities. All apartm...more
Punthill Hotel offers stylish accommodation in Melbourne CBD. Located in the vibrant shopping and dining district of Flinders Lane, all apartments include a fully equipped kitchen and a flat-screen T...more
Located in the heart of Melbourne CBD, Adina Apartment Hotel Northbank features leisure facilities which boast panoramic city views, including an indoor heated pool, spa, sauna and expansive fitness c...more
Located in Melbourne CBD, this award-winning, eco-friendly boutique hotel features free Wi-Fi and relaxing massage chairs in the cosy lounge. It offers air-conditioned accommodation with an LED flat-s...more
Located in the Melbourne CBD, ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel offers comfortable air-conditioned rooms with a private bathroom. It features a café which is open for a continental breakfast. Free WiFi acro...more
Offering modern apartments in the heart of Melbourne CBD, this award-winning 4.5-star property is only 200 metres from Chinatown. Guests enjoy free in-room WiFi, an indoor swimming pool, a sauna and a...more
Quest on Lonsdale offers apartment-style serviced accommodation in the heart of Melbourne CBD, 350 metres from Parliament RailwayStation. These self-contained apartments have individually controlled a...more
Mantra 100 Exhibition is located directly in Melbourne's CBD amongst the fashion precinct of the city. The hotel is 5 minutes' walk from theatres and entertainment areas.Mantra provides large, modern,...more
Located on Little Collins Street in Melbourne CBD, Causeway 353 Hotel offers stylish modern rooms with LCD TV, en suite bathroom and air conditioning. Facilities include a fitness centre, a steam room...more
Pan Pacific Melbourne offers luxurious and stylish accommodation, with panoramic views of the city, Port Phillip bay or Yarra River.Pan Pacific Melbourne has direct internal access to the Melbourne Co...more
Easily accessible and located within a short walk from Melbourne CBD, Mantra Southbank is situated 1.5 km from major sporting venues including both the MCG and Melbourne Arena. The Crown Casino is 70...more
Quest on William offers spacious modern apartments in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD. Each studio and apartment features a fully equipped kitchen, laundry facilities and cable TV. Free high-speed WiFi i...more
Quest on Bourke offers spacious apartments with full kitchen and laundry facilities in the heart of Melbourne CBD. Guests have access to an on-site health club on the lower ground floor and the proper...more
Quest Southbank offers spacious modern apartments in a quiet location, only 150 metres from the restaurants along Southbank Promenade. Each includes a fully equipped kitchen and a private balcony.Ques...more
Featuring a fitness centre and a sauna, St. Kilda Junction Accommodation is just 15 minutes’ walk from St. Kilda Beach. It offers air-conditioned apartments with a private balcony, a flat-screen TV a...more
!Please enter check-in date
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
Price Guardian. Only at Hotel.com.au - Don't Book without it
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 2M+ hotels, resorts, apartments, holiday homes + more
- Compare, book & save $
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ Don't book without it.
- 100% Australian owned
Daily deals for inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz