Hotels near Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race
The annual Sydney Hobart Yacht Race starts on the 26th December each year on the waters of Sydney Harbour. The entrants sail down the East Coast of Australia and finish at the mouth of the Derwent River in Hobart several days and around 630 nautical miles later. The event has now been running for over 65 years, with the first race held in 1945.
Due the sometimes treacherous weather experienced during the race, the high winds and rough seas along the east coast of Australia it is considered to be one of the most difficult yacht races in the world. Putting all danger aside, the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race attracts maxi yachts from around the world and is one of the top off-shore yacht racing events. In 1998, crews ran into a low category hurricane and the race was marred by the tragic death of six competitors. Less than half the yachts that started that year made it to Hobart, several vessels sank.
In the early years of the event, the race took more than six days to complete. The current race record of just over one day and eighteen hours was set in 2005 by Wild Oats XI.
Sailors and land-lubbers alike flock to Sydney to watch the spectacular start of the race on Sydney Harbour. Media boats and tourist vessels jostle for prime position to view the more than 100 competitors vie to be at the front of the fleet as they travel towards the Heads and out into the Ocean.
Celebrate with the winners and head to Hobart and the finish line to watch the fleet of exhausted crew sail in on the Derwent River.
!Please enter check-in date
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
Price Guardian. Only at Hotel.com.au - Don't Book without it
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 2M+ hotels, resorts, apartments, holiday homes + more
- Compare, book & save $
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ Don't book without it.
- 100% Australian owned
Daily deals for inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz