Hobart Adventure Holiday Guide
Hobart is a beautiful city, with lots of lovely gardens and pretty flowers. Ok, we’ll be sure to let granny know. But right now, we’ve got more important Hobart stuff to address - like all the adrenalin pumping, down and dirty action adventures found out on the water, up in on the mountain and right over the top of any quaint garden arrangement silly enough to get in our way.
Day 1: A day of aquatic action worth dipping more than a toe into:
- Since you’re in town to cause chaos, where better to start the journey than Kaos Cafe, Elizabeth Street for some smashed avocado on rye, organic muesli, juicy waffles or eggs any way you fancy.
- Take a kayak tour along the D’Entrecasteaux Channel, past an Atlantic salmon farm and the old whaling station.
- Every day’s Boxing Day on a Deep South Yacht Charter tour of the harbour and river. If you’re here with a group, why not take over Oskar’s entire 34-feet for the journey.
- If propulsion by paddle and wind are too 20th century lame for your liking, jump aboard a jet boat ride on the Derwent River for 360-degree spins, rapids and excessive speed.
Day 2: A discerning blend of relaxed escapades and moustacheod Solo Man exploits:
- For true action travellers, there’s only one respectable way to descend 1270 metres of spiralling rock – on a Mt Wellington Decent mountain biking tour. Take in views of the Derwent Valley down 21 kilometres of winding mountain road.
- At Zone 3 Laser Games you can prowl around a space-themed indoor maze blasting your enemies to kingdom come, amid pumping music and ultra-violet lighting.
- Hook up with mates for a one-day fly fishing course. Learn about knot tying and fly casting then try your luck (and vast natural talents) at the trout fishery.
- Sadly, any trout farm catch must be tossed back for another day. But you can always console yourself by dining on his not so fortunate cousin at the Flathead Fish Café.
Day 3: Get washed, spun and hung out to dry:
- We wouldn’t normally suggest doing laundry on holidays, but at the Machine Laundry Café they do serve a notoriously good coffee and toast with home-made jam.
- How many cities in the world can offer you not one, but two mighty rivers to go rafting on? Rafting Tasmania run trips on the Picton and Derwent rivers—each with varying echelons of thrills, spills and views.
- Why go all the way up that mountain again when there’s a perfectly good indoor version at The Climbing Edge - with bonus bouldering area, gear for hire and experts to help you practice tricky moves?
- After a day playing carb pyromaniac, relax at the social Knopwoods Retreat—a pub serving up simple, yet scrumptious, grub like bangers and mash, alongside more exotic fare such as Thai food, Indian curries and mussels. Oh, plus 10 beers on tap and another 40 in the fridge.
Recommended Hobart Adventure Hotels:
- You’re sure to get some action at Wrest Point Resort with a game room, swimming pool, Mini-golf and tennis on site? You can sleep there too, if you get a free moment.
- Fitness crazies who can’t possibly survive without exercise on holiday will love the city central Mercure Hotel Hobart, which allows guests complimentary entry into the All Aerobics Gymnasium and the Hobart Aquatic Centre.
- Meanwhile, the rest of us can relax in the sauna at Rydges Hobart, have a game of eight ball in the bar and get some shut-eye on the Dream Bed—a latex mattress with fancy support things that send you into a veritable state of slothness.
See the list below for more Hobart Adventure Hotels.
!Please enter check-in date
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
Price Guardian. Only at Hotel.com.au - Don't Book without it
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 2M+ hotels, resorts, apartments, holiday homes + more
- Compare, book & save $
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ Don't book without it.
- 100% Australian owned
Daily deals for inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz