Darwin Family Holiday Guide
As a back to school show and tell story, no-one in your kid’s class can compete with Darwin. Crocodiles, fishing, outback tours, world war two wrecks and so much more, all backed up with family essentials – friendly locals and value for money eats and sleeps. The best part is, you can always say you just had to go because the kids wouldn’t stop hounding you...we won’t tell anyone the truth.
Day 1: Acclimatise:
- The kids can catch a fish “thissssssss big” at the Barramundi Fishing Park. With over 3000 of the suckers swimming around there’ll be no tears about missing out or the fact that that they all get thrown back in.
- If that all sounds a bit gruesome, at Aquascene the kids can feed hundreds mullet, catfish, bream and more eat from your hand rather than on the end of hook.
- Cool off at the Lakes Resort Caravan Park in canoes and paddle boats, on a wakeboard and sliding from the top of a 30m waterslide.
- Fussy little folks and their more adventurous siblings will love Cee Cae’s Bistro . Along with Asian dishes, steaks and seafood, there’s a separate kids menu playground and pool.
Day 2: Explore one of Australia’s natural nirvana’s while someone else deal with the never ending query “But why...?”
- Everybody up for a full day of spectacular scenery, monsoonal rainforests, spring-fed streams, waterfalls and rock pool swimming on a Litchfield National Park tour.
- Eat in peace – and under budget - at the Casuarina Club, where the kids can have their meal then toddle off to the play room while you take your time and relax in the Bistro.
Day 3: If only school biology, science and history class where this much fun.
- Watch the wide-eyed amazement on your kids faces as crocodiles jump from the Adelaide River and snatch food from a guide on a Jumping Crocodiles tour, which also visits the Fogg Dam Nature Reserve, full of birds and less intimidating reptiles.
- Gold fever’s very contagious at the awesomely named Gun Alley Gold Mine. Try out some gold panning and hear dusty locals spin yarns about the town’s history.
- At the Aviation Heritage Centre you can make history class interesting having a gander at a WWII Spitfire, B-52 bomber and remnants of a Japanese Zero from the 1942 attack on Darwin.
- Just because you’re out in the boonies doesn’t mean you need to miss out on great wood-fired pizza. Check out Santa Fe Café, where the kid’s menu ensures everyone’s a happy camper.
Recommended Adelaide Family Hotels:
- We may have to physically drag you off the premises at the Travelodge Mirambeena Resort Darwin, which is set in lush tropical gardens, has a children’s pool and waterfalls as part of two other swimming pools.
- Have a true blue Aussie barbie at the Cullen Bay Resort Apartments, stroll it all off at nearby Cullen Bay eyeing off the beautiful yachts at the marina and then floating around back in your resort pool.
- The Asti Motel is ideal after a day of Darwin adventures. Not only does it have its own saltwater pool (with no prehistoric saltwater surprises), you and the kids can chill out at the on-site Doyle’s family restaurant and then come back to your air-con juiced apartment just in time to catch some ‘toons on Foxtel.
See the list below for more Adelaide Family Hotels.
Located in the heart of Darwin, Marrakai offers apartments with a fully equipped kitchen, laundry facilities, and gorgeous city or ocean views. Guests have access to the swimming pool and barbecue are...more
With a stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin Esplanade, you'll be centrally located in Darwin, steps from Bicentennial Park and Darwin Entertainment Centre. This 4-star hotel is within close proximity o...more
A stay at Mantra Pandanas places you in the heart of Darwin, walking distance from Smith Street Mall and Crocosaurus Cove. This 4.5-star aparthotel is within close proximity of Parliament House and Da...more
Metro Advance Apartments and Hotel is a compact apartment block in the city centre offering self-contained accommodation. The property offers free WiFi, an outdoor pool and on site parking. You can choo...more
!Please enter check-in date
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
Price Guardian. Only at Hotel.com.au - Don't Book without it
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 2M+ hotels, resorts, apartments, holiday homes + more
- Compare, book & save $
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ Don't book without it.
- 100% Australian owned
Daily deals for inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz