According to Dr Stephen Leatherman , known as Dr Beach, a coastal scientist and Director of FIU’s Laboratory for Coastal Research, the best beach in America for 2016 is… *drumroll*… Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Oahu, Hawaii (pictured).
But why, you ask? Well, each year Dr Leatherman rates America’s beaches against fifty different and objective criteria including sand and water quality, wildlife, enjoyment factors like safety and ambience, facilities and environmental management. Sounds like a tough gig travelling around the States every year to these dreamy destinations, doesn’t it?
And the winners are (ranked in order of nirvana to fantastic):
TOP 10 BEACHES IN THE USA 2016
- Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Oahu Hawaii… just a 30 minute drive from Honolulu
- Siesta Beach Sarasota, Florida
- Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui Hawaii
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Grayton Beach State Park Florida panhandle
- Coronado Beach, San Diego California
- Coopers Beach, Southampton New York
- Caladesi Island State Park Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
You might be lucky enough to live in one of these beautiful locations, but for the rest of us, we’ll have to check ourselves into a hotel nearby and see what the fuss is about.