Sydney is an unbeatable holiday spot when it comes to keeping kids entertained. Australia’s biggest city has an endless lineup of family-friendly events, a bustling waterfront, clean beaches, plenty of well-funded and well-maintained attractions, and a vibrant food scene (even for littlies). Here are 10 surefire activities to fill your itinerary with the kids in Sydney.
Cute animals? Yes please!
1. A short ferry ride across the harbour, Taronga Zoo has a great mix of native Australian and international animals. For a little extra, you can get up close and personal with the residents including giraffes and penguins. If you are short on time, there is also the smaller Wild Life Sydney Zoo at Darling Harbour, which focuses on Australian animals.
2. At the Sea Life Aquarium, next door to the Wild Life Zoo, you can come face to face with everything from a tiny seahorse to a great big sea cow. There are more than 700 species on show. Inquisitive visitors can even touch these sea creatures in the rock pools.
Expand your mind
3. You might think the Sydney Opera House is just for grown-ups? But this iconic venue also hosts plenty of events for children including a Baby Proms concert series. You can also walk around the outside of its distinctive sails and get some great photos of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge.
4. The Powerhouse Museum near Darling Harbour is perfect for kids because it has lots of interactive displays begging for little hands to play with them. Focusing on science and design, the museum has a range of permanent and changing exhibitions.
5. Next door to the Powerhouse is the Sydney Observatory. Here you can watch the stars appear in the digital planetarium and look at the real sky through giant telescopes.
6. Dinosaur-mad kids will love the dinosaur exhibition at the Australian Museum,which also has displays on indigenous culture and natural sciences. Kids will enjoy the search and discover room where they can handle exhibits.
Indulge your inner adventurer
7. At 250 metres high, the Sydney Tower observation deck offers stunning 360 degree views of the city and distant mountains. It is also a great destination for lunch with two revolving restaurants guaranteeing a table with a view.
8. Head to Sydney Olympic Park to burn some energy. You can get around on foot, by bike or on horseback. Follow a trail of clues around the park, or even sign up to learn how to fly on trapeze.
9. Get off the land! With water all around, Sydney is beyond compare when it comes to watersports. Hire kayaks, take a ferry, sail a tall ship or, for the more adventurous, head out on a jet boat for a fast sprint across the harbour.
10. Having first entertained crowds from the 1930s to 1960s, Luna Park now thrills visitors again with roller coasters and traditional fairground rides including carousels and dodgems. There are rides for every age (and bravery level) ensuring a fun day out for all the family.
Whatever age your child/ren are and whether you’re there for a short visit or staying awhile, Sydney has something to entertain everyone. We guarantee to have a hotel to suit you too, so check out our Sydney hotel listings. Our Tip: Most of our family customers prefer to stay in an apartment hotel. You can filter by Accommodation Style on the results page.