Melbourne Family Holiday Guide
It’s ridiculous how many great things there are for families to do in Melbourne - adventures, games, sights, tours and most importantly, food stops that get the mini thumbs up of approval. In fact, you can keep your kids so entertained from dusk til dawn they won’t have the breath left to enquire “Are we there yet?”
Day 1: A day of wide-eyed adventure options not even those disturbing little Pokémons can compete with:
- 1850s retro is all the rage on a visit to Sovereign Hill’s goldmining settlement. See goldsmiths and craftsmen at work and then send the kids out with a gold pan to strike it lucky.
- Give your budding mermaids and pirates a taste of sea life at the Melbourne Aquarium on the banks of the Yarra - over four levels of sharks, penguins, turtles, monstrous crabs and other sea nymphs.
- Let the kids off the leash amongst the Melbourne Museum’s 18 permanent exhibitions including Bugs Alive and The Human Body with its interactive displays and antique post-mortem tools.
- Dine on tasty thin crust pizzas at the Italian Woodstock restaurant, so authentic they’ve even parked some Ferrari memorabilia, an old Fiat and a few Vespas inside.
Day 2: Did you hear the one about Warnie, Kylie, Flipper and Thomas?
- The Shane and Charlene show aka the MCG and Neighbours Tour, offers behind the scenes action for the whole family – including locker rooms and Melbourne’s two most famous circles – the MCG pitch and Ramsey street cul-de-sac.
- Get up close and personal with the outrageously cute Dolphins and Australian Fur Seals on a cruise on Port Phillip Bay.
- Have a tootin’ good time aboard the Puffing Billy steam train on your way to see kangaroos, koalas, wombats in the Yarra Valley including spit roast lunch and wine tasting.
- Devour savoury thin pancakes filled with cheese and ham, mushrooms and more at Breizoz Crêpes in Fitzroy —just remember to save room for the chocolate and ice cream crepes!
Day 3: “Wadda you wanna do?” “I dunno, wadda you wanna do?” May we suggest...
- Whether your kids are fussy eaters or food disposal units they’ll love the breakfast options at Retro, a 50s themed café in Fitzroy. Everything from coco pops to poached eggs with smoked salmon and hollandaise and later in the day, free ice cream.
- Bubble, bubble without toil and tantrums at Scienceworks in Spotswood, laden with hands-on exhibits, tours, live demonstrations and a Pirate Ship playground.
- Paddle boat across Albert Park Lake or take a drive around the Formula One circuit and celebrate with a snag or two at one of the BBQ areas.
- Don the safari suits and head to Melbourne Zoo to stroll through rainforests and see over 300 species of animals including seals, gorillas, elephants and tigers.
Recommended Melbourne Family Hotels:
- Within easy reach of Luna Park and St Kilda Beach is the Easystay @Acland St and their excellent family studio apartments.
- You’ll have trouble dragging the kids away from the Crown Towers Hotel Melbourne and it’s 14 cinemas and tenpin bowling alley.
See the list below for more great Melbourne Family Hotels.
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
When is the best time to book? You can relax with
Our service doesn't stop once you have booked. Hotel prices fluctuate, so after you book we keep checking prices every day. If we see what you've booked at a better price we will let you know how to re-book, get the better price and save money! We save customers money every day on their hotel bookings.
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 850,000+ hotels, resorts, apartments + more
- One site to compare, book & save
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ If the price drops after you book we let you know!
- 100% Australian owned
Daily inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz