Hobart Family Holiday Guide
Back in the early 1800s Australia, the only real entertainment for kids was watching brother or sister on ‘clean up after the family bullock’ duty. Hobart family fun has evolved in leaps since those days to a huge range of exciting activities, sights and eating experiences you can all enjoy together – including Australia’s favourite chocolate factory! If that doesn’t work, you can always take the kids out to the country to see the cows.
Day 1: After your flight, let them burn off some of that excitable energy:
- Unleash your Tassie tigers on Putters Adventure Golf. Three levels of mini golf, playground and virtual golf simulators.
- Show the kids what life was like 200 years ago with a trip to 1820s-styled Old Hobart Town. Over 60 buildings built to scale using real city plans and their 400 very lifelike occupants.
- Douse the midday tummy rumbles at the Carlyle Hotel on Derwent Park where steaks, pasta and cheap kids meal deals run rampant.
- Take a tour of Bellerive Oval and the Tasmanian Cricket Museum—you can even check out the player’s room to see where Punter and Boony guzzled down more than a few post-win Cascades.
Day 2: A few ideas to help you surge ahead in the unofficial favourite parent competition:
- Start off the day at Jam Packed cafe. Tasty coffee for the oldies and chunky toast for the kids— pick up some gourmet jam while you’re there.
- Put an end to those “Can I have a Freddo Frog?” shopping checkout line whines once and for all, with a Cadbury cruise tour, includes visits to Government House and the Claremont Cadbury plant to gorge on chocolate amphibians and more.
- Experience Alpenrail in Claremont— a model railway layout of the Swiss Alps with sunset, sunrise, thunderstorm backgrounds and more. And for the princesses, a Faery House and garden with dioramas and figurines.
- Lead your tribe of Zulus to Mummaluka Bar-B-Que, an African themed restaurant with kid’s specials, a jungle ceiling, artefacts and paw prints on the bright yellow toilet walls.
Day 3: In honour of Tasmania’s original Duchy, Van Diemen, we bring you a day for explorers:
- Seen one zoo, seen ‘em all? Try telling ZOODOO Wildlife Park that. Along with usual suspects such as koalas, goats and monkeys, there are Tasmanian Devils, a hands-on animal nursery, and lion feeding and education talks three times a day.
- If you ever end up stranded on a deserted island playing Aussie Family Robinson, you’ll do well to remember your visit to the Maritime Museum of Tasmania, studying the ship building displays, aboriginal watercraft and navigational instruments.
- Get lost in a tangle of pathways and dead ends at the Mazes of Richmond as you wander around the two mazes looking for the road to the surprise centre. Lunch on a tasty snack or light meal in the tearooms or gardens.
- The kids can explore their inner Ken Done at the water’s edge Blue Skies restaurant, sketching with crayons as they fuel their creative juices watching passing boats and scoffing hapless burgers while you enjoy relaxing fresh seafood meals at very reasonable prices.
Recommended Hobart Family Hotels:
- Enjoy the quiet streets around Sandy Bay at the Grosvenor Court Apartments. Each room has a DVD player and DVD library to keep the kids happy on rainy days and evenings.
- Right in the heart of Hobart you’ll find serviced residences Somerset on Salamanca (try saying that 3 times with a lisp!). Located right by the famous weekend markets they offer babysitting service if you need some time out from in-depth Telly Tubby analysis.
- Just because the kids are with you doesn’t mean the end of occasional indulgence. At Lenna of Hobart you can bask in a hotel picnic hamper family lunch amid the 1870s mansion’s gardens.
See the list below for more Hobart Family Hotels.
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
When is the best time to book? You can relax with
Our service doesn't stop once you have booked. Hotel prices fluctuate, so after you book we keep checking prices every day. If we see what you've booked at a better price we will let you know how to re-book, get the better price and save money! We save customers money every day on their hotel bookings.
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 850,000+ hotels, resorts, apartments + more
- One site to compare, book & save
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ If the price drops after you book we let you know!
- 100% Australian owned
Daily inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz