Cairns Family Holiday Guide
The trouble with Cairns is that, once you realise just how many family friendly options are on offer, it becomes more or a question, “Why not Cairns?” From the kid friendly hotels and restaurants to exploring the Great Barrier Reef, meeting local furry friends and riding through or over the stunning rainforest, it’s like a trip to nature’s own version of Disneyland.
Day 1: Choices, choices - natural wonder of the world or natural wonder of the world? Time for a family meeting:
- Imagine a family breakfast without a single interruption? Impossible you say! Not at Squeekers Fun Club indoor adventure playground where trampolines, ball pit and more keep toddlers to 10 year olds entertained while you relax in the grown up café.
- Jump aboard a Green Island full day tour to see the world’s supermodel coral reef strut her stuff as you and the kids snorkel from the beach or gaze through a glass bottom boat.
- Hard to fault the Port Douglas full day Experience - pull up at the Rainforest Habitat wildlife Sanctuary, share a buffet lunch with some friendly lorikeets, dabble in some shopping, poke around town and then all jump back on the bus for a snooze back home to Cairns.
- What better way to end your day than with a two-hour guided Jungle Adventures Nightwalk along tracks through Cape Tribulation. Who’ll be first to spot the lizard, possum and other nocturnal critters?
Day 2: Cairns even has fun stuff to do under and off the ground. Now that’s just bragging:
- Take a self-guided tour of the Crystal Caves to see the world’s biggest purple amethyst crystals and magical floating spheres. They’ll even deck you all out with miner’s helmets, a light and map.
- Go casual and fun for lunch at Skippers Fish and Chip cafe on the Esplanade where you can eat a light meal and the kids can skip off to the nearby Muddy’s playground.
- All aboard Trevor the Tank Engine aka the Kuranda Scenic Rail & Skyrail Great Value Day Tour, for an awww inspiring ride high above the rainforest canopy.
- You’re growing Tarzans and Jane’s might like to upgrade the adventure stakes on the Minjin Jungle Swing, where you hang in a harness together, 45 metres off the ground, and swing.
Day 3: And then of course, there are those magical waterways and woodlands:
- Saddle up your ponies and horses on a Billabong Horseback adventure tour through the heritage trails of rainforest, eucalypt woodlands.
- Learn about the Tjapukai aborigines on a full day, half day or night tour of the cultural park, where you can watch theatrical performances involving holograms, learn to play a didgeridoo, throw a boomerang and taste some real bush tucker.
- Crikey! Take the kids on a Crocodile Explorer cruise around the Trinity inlet waterways to see more than a few big saltwater beauties up close – and even visit the Cairns Crocodile Farm.
- Value for money meals ie 50% off for kids, and plenty of choice for selective eaters is what the people at Sunsets Family Buffet Restaurant of Brothers Leagues Club do best.
Recommended Cairns Family Hotels:
- Set amongst tropical gardens, The Cairns Colonial Club Resort comes with a children’s playground, toddler pool and two restaurants offering a lost list of kids favourites.
- The Mantra Trilogy understand that it’s your holiday too. Enjoy a massage or a workout at the gym while the in-house babysitting service keep the kids out of your hair—and the multi-bedroom accommodation choice also helps to keep some sanity.
- Overlooking beautiful Cairns Marina and Trinity Inlet is the recently renovated Hilton Hotel. From the wonderful pool to the baby sitting service, in-room PlayStations and hotel restaurants it’s made for family holiday nirvana.
See the list below for more Cairns Family Hotels.
We would love to hear your hotel suggestions or new list ideas
When is the best time to book? You can relax with
Our service doesn't stop once you have booked. Hotel prices fluctuate, so after you book we keep checking prices every day. If we see what you've booked at a better price we will let you know how to re-book, get the better price and save money! We save customers money every day on their hotel bookings.
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 850,000+ hotels, resorts, apartments + more
- One site to compare, book & save
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ If the price drops after you book we let you know!
- 100% Australian owned
Daily inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz