Tropical North Queensland
A gateway destination for the wonders of the world
The laid back cosmopolitan city of Cairns has a plethora of trendy restaurants, bars and cafés and is a paradise for those with a passion for adventure. It is also the gateway destination to some of the most spectacular natural wonders of the world including the Daintree Rainforest, Kuranda (a village in the Rainforest) and the Great Barrier Reef. With beautiful beachside resorts at its doorstep, an abundance of outdoor activities and a lively nightlife, Cairns and Tropical North Queensland (or TNQ) is the ultimate holiday destination.
After a jam packed holiday of outdoor adventure, nothing will complete your time in Cairns and Topical North Queensland better than a few days at a relaxing resort, pampering yourself with massages, spas and body wraps. You deserve it!
The Wet and Dry Seasons
While Cairns and Tropical North Queensland is always warm, there are two distinct seasons – ‘Dry’ and ‘Wet’. December to March is generally Wet Season where the temperature is hot and humid and, of course, it rains! The Dry Season commences around March/April through to September. The temperatures at this time of year tend to drop and the wind can pick up, but it is still very pleasant. If you are planning to dive into the deep blue water or snorkel, then October/November are your ideal months.
Top 6 Things to Do in Cairns and Tropical North Queensland
1. Swim in the man-made lagoon at Cairns and enjoy the entertainment of people watching
2. Spend a day experiencing the Kuranda Scenic Railway, meandering through the rainforest and riding the cable car
3. Jump on a boat to the Great Barrier Reef and discover the spectacular coral and marine life
4. Fill your suitcase with souvenirs at the popular Night Markets in Cairns
5. Visit the Cairns Botanical Gardens and enjoy the short nature walk through the rainforest to a great lookout of the city
6. Visit the nearby beachside resorts including Palm Cove and Port Douglas for some downtime.
Top 5 Things to Do in TNQ for Adventure Seekers
1. Take a small daytrip by boat from Cairns to the outer reefs and spend the day diving
2. Take the jump with a tandem skydive over the Great Barrier Reef and tropical rainforests
3. Experience the feeling of flying as you hangglide off Rex Point Lookout
4. Take on the rapids through the World Heritage Rainforest with a white water rafting adventure
5. Experience the adrenaline rush of jumping from the world’s first purpose built bungee tower in Cairns
- Port Douglas
- Palm Cove
- Trinity Beach
- Mission Beach
- Cairns North
- Cape Tribulation
- George Town
- Cow Bay
- Yorkeys Knob
- Atherton Tablelands
- Kewarra Beach
- Holloways Beach
- Wonga Park
- South Mission Beach
- Lizard Island
- Fitzroy Island
- Green Island
- Bedarra Island
- Lower Daintree
Rated 1 out of 5 by 1
When is the best time to book? You can relax with
Our service doesn't stop once you have booked. Hotel prices fluctuate, so after you book we keep checking prices every day. If we see what you've booked at a better price we will let you know how to re-book, get the better price and save money! We save customers money every day on their hotel bookings.
Book with Hotel.com.au
- Free cancellation on most rooms
- Huge range of over 850,000+ hotels, resorts, apartments + more
- One site to compare, book & save
- No booking fees
- Best price guarantee
- Price guardian™ If the price drops after you book we let you know!
- 100% Australian owned
Daily inspiration to take a break!
- The Sebel Hawkesbury was excellent. Great friendly staff and excellent rooms. 11/10 Highly recommend this Hotel A Denman
- .... reservation process was fast and smooth. Grand Hyatt hotel has met our expectations. Our flight was very late and they allowed us to have late check out at 4 pm without extra charges. Definitely we will book again with Hotel.com.au D Purnamasari
- Booking our hotel was a fast and painless process with Hotel.com.au. A tick for your company. C Lee
- The resevation service was simple to use and efficient. L Britz